How can you recover from aches and pains?
Book Now 07747536819
We specialize in:
- safe and injury specific treatments
- deep tissue massage
- inhibition (trigger point)
- therapeutic ultrasound (US)
- soft tissue release
- long and short lever joint-release (a lot of people know this as Chiropractic technique)
- rehabilitation taping
How We Work
At the clinic, we assess and examine you using an osteopathic focus, where we consider factors including posture, physical, surgical, emotional, work, sports, stresses, medication, and intoxicants. Based on this approach we then use the most appropriate hands-on therapy to encourage robust health.
To establish that you are safe to treat we take a confidential case history and undertake a postural and physical examination. Depending on the nature and location of the pain we may request you briefly undress to underwear during the observation phase of you’re the examination. In no way is anyone obliged to undress.
What Is Massage?
Wiki quotes this about massage: “Massage is the manipulation of superficial and deeper layers of muscle and connective tissue using various techniques, to enhance function, aid in the healing process, decrease muscle reflex activity, inhibit motor-neuron excitability, promote relaxation and well-being”.
A broad definition indeed that includes work into muscles, ligaments, tendons, membranes, blood, lymph, synovial fluid, CSF, and joints, done using a variety of methods to promote improved function and well-being. This might sound very detailed and precise, however, we also view people with a broader focus, looking at how the different parts of your body move in patterns and complete functional movements.
Occasionally potential clients request massage treatments without the necessary and legal case history process being completed. We always answer a firm No to such requests. Musculoskeletal aches and pains can mimic serious and life-threatening conditions including:
- Cardiovascular, especially hypertension and high blood pressure.
- Diabetes can alter the sensations we feel.
- Cauda Equina can mimic lower back pain. This is an emergency surgical condition, that is not benefitted by massage or manipulation.
- Spondyloarthropathies, a collection of autoimmune joint and organ diseases that give joint pain.
- Hypermobility diseases change the mix of Elastin and Collagen that make up our connective tissues. Some approaches to treatment can injure these people.
- Autoimmune diseases like Myasthenia Gravis which is characterized by weakness in the arms, hands, fingers, legs, and neck, with droopy eyes, changes in facial expression, double vision and difficulty swallowing.
Some conditions can be potentially worsened by massage and manipulation
- Osteopenia and osteoporosis can predispose the person to fractures
- Down’s Syndrome can in 10-30% of children allow instability between the upper two neck vertebrae
- In the lower spine forward or reverse slippage of a vertebra known as Spondylolisthesis can press into the spinal cord.
- Aneurysms, particularly in the abdomen, can dissect or rupture, known as AAA, (abdominal aortic aneurysm), potentially a fatal disease
- Cancer requires specific careful treatments once specialists have been consulted.